With winter in Massachusetts nowhere close to ending, we want to give you some tips to prevent ice and snow injuries. ?No one likes shoveling and removing snow but it is something we all have to do. Make sure to stay safe when shoveling
- Make sure to use the shovel properly. Hold it as intended and don’t try to lift too much snow.
- Do not over exert yourself. When you try more than you can do, your body is more prone to injury.
- Do not twist your body. Lift with your legs and switch sides frequently.
- As with any cold activity, dress in warm layers. If your clothes become wet, make sure to change into dry clothes ASAP.
- Warm up your muscles a little before attempting to shovel. Stiff muscles can be injury prone.
- Stretch after exertion, this can help minimize soreness afterward
If you must drive in the snow or icy weather, follow these precautions:
- Clear all ice or snow from your car before you drive. It is the law!
- Never travel faster than needed. Often times, speed limits are decreased during storms.
- Don’t forget that bridges freeze first so watch out for black ice.
- Travel further apart from other vehicles. Snow and icy conditions make it harder to stop so you will need more room to brake
- If your car should become disabled, pull over to the side of the road with hazard lights on.
If you find yourself injured this winter, visit AFC Urgent Care in Natick MA. Our walk in clinic is available to treat you non-life threatening injuries or illnesses. Our center is staffed with board certified doctors along with medical assistants and x-ray technicians. We are generally less costly and faster than other alternatives for care. Visit us today at 945 Worcester St in Natick or call 508-650-6208