AFC Urgent Care Natick would like each of you to come in when you are in a nonlife-threatening emergency. However, when an injury occurs sometimes, you have to think fast & assist the wounded before paramedics arrive. If you or someone around you is injured, you should know these First Aid Basics so you can start to help the injured person before they are on their way to the nearest Urgent Care!
Stop the bleeding
If someone has a cut or gash to their body & they are losing blood the bodies natural response will be to clot the blood to prevent bleeding out. If the person is Anemic or is experiencing heavy bleeding, it is possible the body will not be able to clot, leaving the person at a severe health risk. In the event of someone bleeding heavily you should:
- Put pressure on the wound preferably with a sterile piece of clothing
- Do not elevate the injury
- Make sure the wound is sterilized
Choking can happen at any time & it can cause a hectic scene. If someone doesn’t act fast, the victim can lose consciousness & die. Try to learn the Heimlich maneuver on someone who is choking on a foreign object.
- The person who is choking most likely won’t be able to talk. Look for hands covering the throat
- Stand behind the victim, wrap your arms around their midsection & place a fist between their rib cage & belly button.
- With your other hand over the first deliver a quick thrust upward until the foreign object is removed from the victim’s throat.
In the event of a traumatic event or massive loss of blood the victim could fall into shock. Shock occurs when the victim does not receive enough blood to their brain. In the event of this happening make sure to lie the victim on their back & elevate their legs. After this make sure they stay warm by covering them with blankets or whatever is around & then call the doctor!
If you have any more questions or concerns, contact us at 508.650.6208